bckgrd

Thursday, August 30, 2012


The First Day of Kindergarten
It has come and gone.  Today was her second day.  Getting past the first day was hard.  Well, it was really only hard getting through the drop off part. 
All morning getting ready, I had it together.  I even thought for a second that I might not cry at all.  That only lasted a minute.  I don’t like crying in public, so I had to pep talk myself into being okay if it should happen.  Wow did it ever! 
As we pulled into school, I saw my husband greeting us enthusiastically.  Arms flailing with excitement type of greeting.  I’m so glad Emma was able to see him before her day began.  However in retrospect, for me, I really needed him to avoid eye contact and ignore us.  Even run into the woods and hide.  All these things are unacceptable in his job description.  I don’t know why it hit me so hard, but it did.  We parked.  Walked up the parking ramp and the tears came flowing down.  With every step it seemed to get worse.  Then there would be a moment of composure; this did not last long.  I was a HOT MESS.  I had no saving grace, but to keep walking past dozens of people with tears in my eyes and holding back an ugly cry face.  I saw friends, they asked how I was doing.   Of course in that state you can only nod your head.  No words are coming out with that would make any sense.  Have you ever been in a hallway that seemed never ending?  That was the hallway we had to walk down to get her to the classroom door.  It was crowded and overwhelming.  I wish we would have been late.  But being late on the first day is not cool.  We walked up to her locker.  I tried instructing Emma through broken words about where I was putting stuff.  She looked at me like I was half out of my mind.  She grabbed her lunch box and walked right into the class.  No kiss or hug.  What a big girl.  If only mommy could act her age.  She had a great day  After Norah and I left the building, I was having a much better day as well. 

______________________________________________________________________
of all things, that day a bee got in the house.  Seriously, the nerve in my state of vulnerability.

No comments: